Sunday, October 22, 2017

Turkeys and Turkeys and More Turkeys!

Just when I think I'm not going to be surprised by anything on the farm, I am surprised!

The weekend started off with the lake.  Lake Minigan.
Jim wakes up at 6:00 am to go rent the machine that mulches straw and shoots it out. By 8:30 Jim, Korey and Mateo were out at the lake, shooting straw all over the damn covering the grass seed that Jim had spread the night before. 

I run back and forth on the ATV watching them drive around the damn with my Subaru towing the spreader behind it.  The width of the damn is barely wide enough for the trailer. I watch as Jim drives, Mateo feeds the straw to the machine and Korey sprays straw all over the damn. 

All of which sounds great until I realize the trailer is too wide and it begins to slide.  Jim stops the car and gets out.  I yell to him that the trailer is sliding.  He tells me he has it all under control and I shouldn't worry. HA!   Except........ he was right.  They were all fine.  Korey was dancing to the music he was listening to while spraying, Mateo was in a groove and Jim was doing a great job driving.

Everything turned out great!


We decided to celebrate with trying out a new winery.   Lake Creek Winery.  I would highly recommend it to anyone!  Great view, Great wine, Great people.  And......... close to home!
We had a great afternoon!


Then comes Sunday...........

I start my morning off cleaning out the chicken coop.  The chicks are doing awesome!  I come up to the house and Jim and Mateo are getting ready to head off to Korey and Anna's to help corral the pigs.  I cook up a quick breakfast for them (eggs of course) and send them on their way!

My goal for the day is to have a "ME" day.  I start off my day with laundry.......  sounds boring, right?  Well, as I am walking past the sliding doors, I look out toward the chicken coop.  I see my Brahma hens.  Except they are on top of the coop and they have grown three times.  What the heck!?

I spend the remainder of the day watching 8 wild turkeys.  They love the chicken coop.  I watch them climb on top of the coop, around the coop and throughout the yard.  

They kind of look like Brahmas right?





I keep thinking they will leave.  But they don't.  I know that Jim is having a "first time experience" with Korey, taking the pigs to Swiss but I have to let him know what is going on.  I text back and forth with him and he shares in my excitement.  I am hopeful that they stick around........ or come back.  I continue with my day and keep an eye out to see how the turkeys are doing.  They are doing fine.  All of the cats are outside but I'm not too concerned.......  they will stay away, right?  Nope!  Shelby comes out from wherever and decides she wants to meet them.  Up close and personal. She goes straight for the Tom. " Hello Tom, My name is Shelby and I want to get to know you. " (Why on Earth was this cat not fearful of the EIGHT turkeys that are all 5x her size?!?!)  She goes up and sniffs the Tom's tail.  She walks among them as if she is a good friend.  Meanwhile, I am freaking out.  I am yelling at her.  "Shelby!  Come here!"   She is not interested in anything I have to say.  She has new friends.  They do well with each other although I am scared to death that the Tom is going to beat the sxxx out of her.  Nothing.  They all do a little dance around each other and there is no drama whatsoever. 


Whew.

Shelby comes up onto the deck.  I go back to my housework.  Until I look out on the deck and see the turkeys at the bottom of the stairs to the deck.  I grab my camera and go out onto the deck.  I watch them.  I listen.  I hear them coming up the stairs.  Really?  Up the stairs?   Yep..



What an amazing time!  I love my life.  I am so appreciative of the experiences I am blessed to have. 

My weekend actually ended up completely different that what I had anticipated.  Oh, forgot to mention that we met new friends at Korey and Anna's on Saturday evening. 

The new people (that we have so enjoyed meeting) are involved with farming, sustainability, earth awareness..............  these are  the reasons we moved here. I am so happy to experience the things I experience, learn the things I learn, work my asx off and drive an hour to my office. 

In summary, my weekend consisted of....... Lake maintenance, wineries, AWESOME friends, new friends, neighbors helping neighbors, new experiences with turkeys...........
This is my life now.  And I am so appreciative.

LIFE IS GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Something tells me that one of your neighbors is missing a flock of turkeys. They probably thought your coop was their coop.

    ReplyDelete