Friday, January 13, 2017

Have you hugged your farmer lately?



Have you ever hugged your farmers?  We have!  (of course they are great people and great friends so who wouldn't hug them!)

Have you met the people raising your meat?  We have!
Do you know the ground your veggies were grown in? We do!

So this morning we were iced in.  My office was closed so I was working from home.  Jim works from home regularly so we were both hanging out at the house watching the ice storm.  I decided it would be a great day to throw something in the crock pot and let it cook all day.  I head downstairs to our freezer.  A freezer full of pork, chicken and some vegetables greet me.  I realize how I have changed.



 


Over the past few years the origin of my food has become more important.  Don't get me wrong, I still love a big ol' burger from an unknown source but generally, I try to eat more organic and locally sourced as often as possible.

Back to my knowing your farmer........

The things I have learned since the farm began have been amazing!

For those that don't already know,  the farm I am referring to is Farwig Farm outside of Union, MO. We love these people and everything about their farm.  Korey and Anna, the kids, the dogs, the cats, the pigs, the chickens, the turkeys, the bees, the garden.   Even the barn!   They are somewhat new to having a farm as a business (a couple of years) but they are not new to organic and sustainable living. They are not the type of people that stay status quo therefore they consistently research and learn ways to improve their farm.














On a personal note, Jim and I know the animals and we know they are happy.  They are free range, non-GMO and happy animals!  Jim and I are thankful to know the animals we are eating and know that they were treated not only humanely but with love and appreciation.  

We have the benefit of seeing the farm frequently and it's always a joy.  I have also had the pleasure of farm sitting.  What an experience!



Jim and I have fed the pigs, the chicks, the turkeys, the dogs and Jim has helped with the bees (not something I care to do!).  We have woken up to a beautiful snowfall, watching the snowflakes drift
through the trees, covering the barn in a blanket of white.  We have played with the piglets and watched them grow as well as the chicks and the turkeys.  We have watched as Korey field dressed a deer as we all respectfully thanked the deer.  We have hiked, talked, laughed, worked hard, played, told each other private things and shared so many wonderful moments at Farwig Farm.

My goal for this post was to make people stop and think about knowing your farmer.  In the process of writing it I have realized how lucky we are to have such good friends as our farmers.  They believe in their farm and they believe in family.  I am proud to consider them my family.

You can check them out on Facebook (Farwig Farm) or if you have any questions, Jim and I would be more than happy to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment