Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Minigans are Adventuring Again! - Day 9

Day 9 was our last full day of adventuring and it did not disappoint.  The day started with another good breakfast the the hotel.  Then off we went.

Our goal for the day was to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, spend as much time as possible hiking and looking at the views and the drive back to Las Vegas.  The weather was perfect.  Blue skies.  White puffy clouds.  The ride included a  very long stretch in the valley the went on and on with mountain ranges off to the side.  You could see the winding road in front of you twisting and finally turning up into the mountains. 

Heading into the park, the scenery was nice but not Grand Canyon"ish" yet.  I had only been to the South Rim so I wasn't sure what to expect.  A little way into the park, Jim pulled into one of the view points and said, "OK, you can see a little peek of what to expect from here."   My first view of the North Rim was beyond what I had expected.  I was so anxious to see more!


The visitors center was our first stop.  Only for a moment though to look in and see what they had.  The next stop was the Grand Canyon Lodge.  We walked and went straight to the windows that overlook the Canyon.  Breathtaking!  It just kept getting better.

Our day was spent hiking around to different vantage points and looking at the magnificence of the canyon.  We had a nice lunch at the Lodge overlooking the Canyon. 










I will tell you though that my fear of heights has not lessened at this point. 


As I would hike down to the edge of a cliff I was dealing with a few things.  First, the fact that I am recovering from chemo and still am not at 100%.  Second, I have a tremendous fear of heights.  Finally, because I have a fear of heights my legs actually tremble and make me feel unstable.  Oh........... and the fact that we are at 9,000 ft and the air is thinner.   Jim continued to be patient though and let me go at my own speed.

Our day was amazing! 

oh............. we made it back to Vegas just fine so we could be close to the airport for our morning flight. 




IT WAS ONE HECK OF A VACATION! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment